I was really losing it at work in the run up to Christmas. No motivation, just staring at the screen or surfing the web. I have a load of leave to use up and a colleague said “Just go now” so I jacked in 2017 on Wednesday 18th December and will go back to work (and to being a marathon monk) on Monday, January 8th 2018.
My impression from the last few weeks has been a change in stopping at the shrines. I’m now going completely blank when I stop with no impulse to return to walking. I simply stand there like I’m growing roots and eventually remember to count my breaths or stir back into the action of walking. Maybe this is just feeling tired. It will be interesting to see if it continues when I return to work or if it moves on to something else.
I see this pattern of Ritual leading to Routine to Habit. If all that we are is a bundle of habit energies then it is a route to transformation. Change yourself by adding positive habits. Firstly ritualise what you need to do – bells, smells and bowing if need be. Make it a routine. Eventually it will be habitual. Repeat to keep the rituals in your life fresh. Linking each ritual to a habit that it is designed to implant.
Marathon Monk Posts by Date
- Marathon Monk: Back story
- Lay Pedestrian meets Marathon Monk
- Lay Pedestrian resolves to mug Marathon Monk
- Setting Off on Project Marathon Monk
- Marathon Monk Index
- Marathon Monk: June 2017 – 8 days & 48 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk and the Pointless Pole
- Marathon Monk: July 2017 – 22 days & 132 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: August 2017 – 33 days & 198 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: September 2017 – 47 days & 282 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: October 2017 – 62 days & 372 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: November 2017 – 78 days & 468 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: December 2017 – 89 days & 534 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: January 2018 – 97 days & 582 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: February 2018 – 112 days & 672 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: March 2018 – 125 days & 750 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: April 2018 – 137 days & 822 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: May 2018 – 152 days & 912 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: June 2018 – 166 days & 996 mindful miles
- Marathon Monk: July 2018 – 182 days & 1,092 mindful miles